Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 8, 2014

 We held Augusta and Bangor zone conference this last Thursday in Augusta Maine.  It was special in that this was the first zone conference that President Stoker ask us office staff to help teach from Preach My Gospel chapter 6, "How do I develop the attributes of Christ?".
I chose to teach on Diligence, Sister Pettingill chose Faith, and Elder Pettingill chose Humility. Miriam helped Sister Stoker teach genealogy and Family Search.  It was wonderful.  I realized how much I have missed teaching and interacting with the youth of the Church.  Our missionaries are wonderful and work so hard.
Last night I was asked to assist teaching a African man named Mike with Elders Harper and Aldous.  It was so special.  He has been in the U.S. for about 10 years and speaks good English.  However he reads Arabic.  I was surprised to see he had a Arabic Book of Mormon that he was reading.  Elder Harper asked I would share some of my experiences while reading the Book of Mormon.  I was sitting next to Mike and asked if I could see his Book of Mormon.  I opened it, seeing it written in a language I could not read or even make any sense of.  I shared my testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and that he translated the Book of Mormon from reformed Egyptian and that I am sure when he looked at the writings he had no idea what it said.  But with the Urim and Thumim and the gift of translation from God, we have this wonderful set of scriptures.  I felt the spirit so strong as I bore my testimony of what this Book means to me and how it changed my life.  I shared my experience going to the Lord to ask if it was true so many years ago and receiving my answer that it is true.  We are having so many wonderful spiritual experiences.  I thank Heavenly Father everyday for giving Miriam and I this opportunity to be on this mission. 
We have zone conferences in New Hampshire this next Tuesday and up in Vermont next Thursday.  We are all looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment